As a drummer or a percussionist that is advanced at reading music, it seems to get more and more difficult to buy books to help you advance. At this point in your development, you should have a pretty good idea of where you need additional help. But it is hard to find the book that is just right for you.
It seems like the whole market is just saturated with books designed to sell a new drummer a dream as opposed to helping a serious student advance. I wanted to help alleviate you by creating this list of books for drummers that are advanced and need a material that pushes them the extra yard.
Before we get into the list itself. It is important to note that if you are truly an advanced level player then you should be able to pick up any book and learn about a subject that is not popular. An example of what I mean; being that I am an advanced player I can look up a style of music that is from Northern Russia and order a book and learn how to play a new style of music that only exists in Northern Russia. So it is time for you to enjoy the fruit of your labor and begin exploring your limits and learning unique material that others are unable to explore because you have spent the time to develop yourself in reading drumming and Percussion music.
However, if you still need drum method books that will seriously deepen your knowledge of reading drum music. Then here is a list of some of the most advanced level material I have ever come against. (excluding cultural pieces and genres that are unique) for a list of cultural works or genres that you should explore. It will be a different article that I will write in the future.
Here is a list of the most advanced drum method books.
List of Snare Drum Books
- N.A.R.D Drum Solos
- Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer – by Ted Reed
- Odd Time Reading Text – by Louis Bellson
- 14 Modern Contest Solos’ for the Snare Drum – by John S. Pratt
- The New Pratt Book – Contest Solos for Snare Drum – by John S. Pratt
- Collection Drum Solos by Ludwig
- Advanced Etudes for Snare Drum – by Keith Aleo
- Accent on Accents – Book 1 by Elliot Fine
- Accent on Accents – Book 2 by Elliot Fine
- Hard Times – Advances Etudes for Snare Drum – by Mitchell Peters
- Advanced Snare Drum Studies – by Mitchell Peters
- Odd Meter Rudimental Etudes for the Snare Drum – by Mitchell Peters
- Odd Meter Calisthenics for the Snare Drummer – by Mitchell Peters
- Accents and Rebounds for the Snare Drummer – by George Lawrence Stone
- Dynamic Control – by Joel Rothman
- Fun with Triplets!!! – For the intermediate and advanced drummers – by Joel Rothman
List of Drum Set Books
- Creative Coordination & Advanced Foot Technique – By Thomas Lang
- Creative Control – By Thomas Lang
- A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer – by Charles Dowd
- Drumset Workouts – by Jon Belcher
- Louis Bellson’s Jazz Rock Beats – by Louis Bellson
- La Batterie Brésilienne – The Drums in Brazilian Music – Book 2 – Samba – by José Boto
- Combination of Syncopation and Rolls for the Drum Set – by Ted Reed
- Syncopation #2 in the Jazz Idiom for the Drumset – by Ted Reed
- Irv Greene’s Show Drumming – By Joel Rothman and Irv Greene
- A Quartet of Recipes Around the Drums – by Joel Rothman